How to Share archives
Greene Connections is a volunteer initiative to preserve photographs and documents related to genealogy and local history in Greene County, Pennsylvania. Our team works with individuals, families, organizations, and repositories to digitally scan and archivally document historical items for free, public access. Explore our web site to find area cemeteries, access local history resources, and discover information about how you can share your family collection with Greene Connections!
This project is in partnership with the Cornerstone Genealogical Society, Greene County Historical Society, and Waynesburg University Paul R. Stewart Museum.
Request a Free Scanning Session
To set-up a FREE scanning session or to ask questions about scanning your own photos / documents, contact Greene Connections Archivist Candice Buchanan: email@example.com or 724-998-0650.
Due to our current undertaking of uploading our 10,000+ archival records into the new PastPerfect software in our Archives section, we do have a substantial backlog. Your submissions are welcome with the understanding that volunteers will process them as soon as possible.
Scan and Submit Your Collection
If you would like to scan and submit your collection, please follow these important steps to speed up processing times:
- In respect to copyright and privacy issues, please only submit photos that were taken before 1930.
- You MUST own the original photo / document or have permission from the owner of the original in order to share with Greene Connections.
- Photographs in an album or other layout in which they are particularly arranged, should be submitted in original order. Context clues will otherwise be lost.
- Scan all photos / documents in a full color setting, not in grayscale or black and white.
- Scan all photos / documents at the highest quality setting, ideally at least 600 dpi or greater.
- Scan all photos / documents completely, so that our archivists can see the outer edges of each item.
- Writing or photographer stamps on the back of photos should be scanned as well, so that your photo can be correctly documented.
- Save each photo / document image as a tiff file (or if necessary, as a jpg file at the highest quality setting, ideally 100%).
- Do not alter the size or allow your email to shrink the photo / document images when sending.
With all archival record submissions please provide:
- Your contact information (name, email, and/or phone) so that you can be given appropriate credit and be contacted for any further information that may be needed.
- Any known information about how the archival record(s) were passed down to, or came to be in the possession of, the current owner.
*Please understand that submissions not meeting these requirements may not be able to be posted to the Greene Connections Archives Project.
*Due to volunteer time and web space limitations, it may not be possible to post every record that is submitted.