In Search of Grandma Elizabeth

by Candice Buchanan, Greene Connections Archivist

Originally published June 2013, updated October 2013.

On 19 April 1904, a small concrete marker bearing the number 751, was placed as the only tombstone Elizabeth Mary (Garber) Staggers would ever have.[1] By the time the cemetery was closed, over 1300 of these little markers would identify the graves of  ancestors not brought home for burial from the Dixmont State Hospital, known to most of those at rest in this overgrown graveyard by its earlier name, the Western Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane.[2]

Continue Reading